Sometime after A few more screenshots from Elite: Dangerous this happened:There’s a load of money in dual painite mining.
If you don’t know what “dual” mining means, it’s simply mining in the area where two hotspots of the same type overlap, which basically leads to better odds for finding really rich asteroids.
If you want to try, and want a detailed tutorial, hit youtube – there are a lot of people who can explain it better than me.
If bulletpoints are good enough:
- You need a ship that can carry bulk cargo. I’ve done it in my new anaconda, which is actually not the best but it does the job. Aim for at least 256 tons of cargo capacity, if not more, if you’re in a rush.
- You need prospector and collector limpets, a refinery, and mining lasers. Aim for as many simultaneous limpets as possible, and as many mining laser as possible, but keep in mind, 200 tons of paininte are worth at least 150 million, so you’ll be a really tasty morsel for any pirate within 15 lightyears.
- Go to http://edtools.ddns.net/miner and figure out where to go, and where to sell.
- Stock up on limpets, you should have your hold filled to about 75% with limpets when you start – that should give you enough to fill your hold with minerals.
- When you first arrive at your chosen mining spot, just sit still for a few minutes – pirate NPCs will appear, scan you, find you empty, and leave. Then you just do your generic surface mining operation: fire prospector limpet at asteroid, check contents, start mining it if it has more than 20% painite. If you don’t want to collect anything else, use the “ignore list” in your contacts tab to ignore all other minerals, but keep in mind: you can synthetize limpets from iron + nickel. Also, having a few tons of gold to throw at pirates might give you the time to high-tail out of a tight spot.
- Rinse, lather, Rinse, repeat. Surface mining asteroids respawn after roughly four hours – and filling 192 tons of painite takes about two with my setup. For trader elite you need to mine and sell painite worth 1.1 billion credits, so that’s roughly 8 holds full, if you start with no earnings from trade at all.
Now I have to get combat elite – and man that is a completely different matter. From what I hear it takes the longest, and the most dedication – you basically get killed a lot, and you have to do it in populated areas – so maybe not in open. Stupid gankers. Got myself shot to pieces three times so far – and twice by regular other players without any pretense of RP. I mean, seriously, getting attacked by a CMDR who’s doing piracy and wants my cargo, ok I can understand that, but someone who camps outside of jameson memorial just for the thrills of being an asshole? No thanks. I guess CQC or AX hunting is just too hot for those dweebs, and they’re banned from farmville…